Associate consultant for law school admissions
S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting is seeking an Associate Law School Admissions Consultant to help take the business to the next level. This is an exciting opportunity to join a successful and growing educational start-up as it seeks to expand and reach more students. The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented, creative, energetic, curious, and born to multitask. This position is a full time W2 position. Starting salary $ 60,000-70,000 / year.
The Associate Law School Consultant should be comfortable working and leading students in small group boot camps, as well as working one-on-one with students. Qualified applicants should have law school admission experience and should be able to speak from first generation and / or minority experience. Qualified applicants should also be very comfortable helping students write essays and work within company-defined processes and methods.
At S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting, we believe in inspiring students to write their most authentic stories and go through a detailed and proprietary brainstorming and essay planning process. Associate Law School Consultants should be willing to follow these processes and advance the principles of the business by providing feedback to students. It’s important to note that in terms of feedback, Consultants are expected to do more than just proofread essays. They are expected to provide detailed, in-depth commentary that prompts students to produce their best writing, and teaches elements of grammar, style, and organization. Comments can also include brainstorming questions and suggestions in the text. Consultants should also be adept at teaching students how to use narrative writing effectively.
It is imperative that the consultants be able to meet a 48 hour deadline for comments and review of the essays.
While applicants do not need to be Christians (or of any denomination), they should be comfortable that S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting is a faith-based organization. We pray with and with our students often and believe in instilling mindfulness into their law school application journey. S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting specializes in working with first generation and minority law students. We often work with a non-traditional population which includes single mothers, veterans, survivors of domestic and sexual abuse, undocumented students, etc.
- Work directly with law school applicants on the law school research and application process (both independently and in tandem with Sydney)
- Advise students to reflect introspectively on their stories and life experiences with particular emphasis on the emotional consequences of their trip and how it relates to their current goals and objectives
- Bring humor and fun into an objectively stressful process
- Connect and share parts of yourself with students to increase relativity
- Become a mentor and confidant for students through their storytelling and writing processes
- Respond to student needs holistically, serve them with a person-centered approach
- Research and understand the law school’s curriculum and course offerings
- Guiding students with internships and extracurricular advice to enhance the curriculum vitae and law school experience
- Guide students through career and major exploration
- Develop lists of appropriate law schools based on study and admission preparation and career goals
- Help students with the essay brainstorming process
- Follow S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting’s Storymethod â¢ process for essay development, presentation and reviews
- Respond to student questions about the schedule, strategy, and additional material
- Support students and families in the process of financial aid to law schools
- Help students choose schools and navigate waiting lists
- Research law schools, attend information sessions, participate in professional development organizations
- Meet regularly with students to discuss their progress
- Email summaries to students after sessions
- Recruit and attract new students to S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting
- Communicate effectively with Sydney
- Work collaboratively with other members of the S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting team, including attending and participating in team meetings and 1: 1 recordings
- Provide fast, friendly and professional communication to customers through multiple channels including email, phone, chat and social media
- Creating content about the law school admission process via videos, blogs, interviews, podcasts, Canva graphics or social media posts
- Educate and inform clients on how S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting services can add value
- Listen and respond with empathy to students throughout the course
Qualifications / skills
- Experience working in admissions in an admissions office of an ABA-accredited law school and / or 2 to 5 years of experience as a full-time independent educational consultant.
- JD or graduate degree required (applicants without JD must demonstrate more than 5 years of admissions experience in an admissions office of an ABA-accredited law school)
- Preference is given to applicants who are members of professional associations (i.e. PLANC, IECA, HECA, NACAC or a regional ACAC)
- Understanding of the law school financial aid process
- Experience with highly selective institutions
- Experience and familiarity with Millennials and Gen Z students
- Exemplary understanding of social media and digital technologies
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Understanding of the lived experiences of first generation and minority students
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents and students
- The ability to work in a team
- Ability to align with brand message and consulting best practices
- Complete understanding of Google Suite (Gmail, Google Documents, Google Calendar)
- Exemplary planning and time management skills
- Open working evenings and weekends, especially during peak application season
- Autonomous and creative problem solver
- High level verbal and written communication skills
Qualified applicants will be asked to produce their own writing sample or an essay sample that they have helped edit for law school applications.
About S. Montgomery Admission Consulting:
Sydney Montgomery is the owner and founder of S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting, which provides personalized law school admissions counseling and college counseling services to pre-law high school students. As the first female lawyer in her family and a graduate of Princeton and Harvard Law School, Sydney has been using her platform since 2012 to help students break down generational barriers and confidently embark on their future. Sydney specializes in working with first generation and minority applicants. Sydney also produces the Mindful Prayers for Students podcast which empowers students by faith in their higher education goals.
Sydney received her BA in English and a Certificate in French Language and Culture from Princeton University, and her JD from Harvard Law School. She obtained the Independent Education Consultant Certificate from UC Irvine, Continuing Education Division. Sydney is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling, the Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admission Counseling, and is currently Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee and a member of the Ethics Committee of the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA). In 2020, IECA named Sydney one of the first seven recipients of the âMaking a Difference Awardâ for its positive contribution to the profession and its members. Sydney has been named 2021 Councilor of the Year (PCACAC), Kappa Alpha Theta 35 Under 35 and one of the 21 Leaders of the 21st Century by Women’s eNews.