Job: Consultant – One (1) year contract to provide graphic design services for strategic publications at UNDP
Post ID: 3027
Place of employment: This is a remote consulting firm; at home and does not require the consultant to travel to Nigeria.
Type of contract: Individual contract
Job Level: International Consultant
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Languages required: English
Start date: (date the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jun-2022
Duration of the initial contract: one year down payment
Expected duration of the mission: one year of fees
- The Nigerian government is committed to implementing and realizing the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The Addis Ababa Action Agenda provides a global framework for financing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), aligning all financing flows and policies with economic, social and environmental priorities.
- Integrated National Financing Frameworks (INFFs) are used as a planning and implementation tool to finance sustainable development at the national level.
- They help policy makers develop a strategy to increase investments in sustainable development, manage financial and non-financial risks, and ultimately achieve sustainable development priorities. In short, integrated national financing frameworks are a tool to operationalize the Addis Ababa Action Agenda at the national level, in conjunction with international cooperation at the global level.
- This integrated national financing framework or strategy will be produced in the form of a report that will be published at the national level as a policy-making tool.
- Funding for the SDGs, on the other hand, will help accelerate poverty reduction which can be measured using the Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
- The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) is an international measure of acute poverty covering over 100 developing countries and 5.7 billion people.
- The MPI complements income-based poverty measures by reflecting the multiple deprivations people face at the same time.
- The MPI identifies deprivations in health, education, standard of living and unemployment, and indicates the number of people suffering from multidimensional poverty and the deprivations they face at the household level.
- It tracks deprivation through three dimensions and 10 indicators: health (infant mortality, nutrition), education (years of schooling, schooling) and standard of living (water, sanitation, electricity, cooking fuel, land and assets). It first identifies which of these 10 deprivations each household experiences, then identifies households as poor if they suffer deprivations on one-third or more of the weighted indicators.
- The MPI analysis will be produced in the form of a report that will be published at the national level to help policy makers in the poverty reduction strategy.
- It is against this background that UNDP Nigeria is seeking to recruit a Professional Graphic Designer who will provide design support as required and assist in the development of the overall design, layout and finalization of INFF reports, MPI, UNDP strategic reports, briefing pack, fact sheets and social media cards in print and digital formats.
- Each product should have its own branding and design, as well as reflect the themes of the content communicated in each of the publications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working closely with the UNDP Nigeria Inclusive Economic Growth Unit, under the overall guidance and supervision of the UNDP Nigeria Communications Specialist, the Contractor will be responsible for providing the following services:
- Graphic Design for Research Reports: Produce high quality graphic design and layout of various UNDP reports, including the development of infographics, illustrations and tables to ensure easy readability and strong aesthetic appeal
- Social Media Card Design: Produce high quality graphical social media cards to highlight key UNDP data and information
- Graphic Fact Sheets: Produce high quality graphic fact sheets to highlight key UNDP data and information
- Graphical Brief: Produce a high-quality graphical brief to highlight key UNDP data and information, including the development of infographics, illustrations and tables to ensure easy readability and strong aesthetic appeal
For the above services, the scope of work includes:
- Create designs with clear and easy-to-understand compelling layout, aesthetics, colors, graphics and visuals, delivered on time.
- Implement UNDP publishing and branding policy for print and online publications as well as UNDP graphic guidelines.
- Enhance and edit illustrations, photos, charts and other graphic elements in all documents.
- Custom photo editing (restoration, noise reduction, tonal adjustment)
- Provide visualization of data, maps, and infographics using professional design software (e.g. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
- Submit three design options and preliminary layouts for discussion with UNDP for each report;
- Revise the selected layout as discussed with UNDP;
- Submit the publication to UNDP for proofreading (two sets of corrections per document to be covered under the agreement)
- Make sure all corrections have been inserted.
- Obtain final approval from UNDP before submitting electronic files to printer and prepare electronic files for printer
- Send electronic files to printer (via FTP) and liaise with printer during printing process, receive and annotate final plan with final corrections from UNDP
- Make final corrections to the electronic file
- Create a PDF from the final electronic file for publication on the UNDP web
Expected results of the initial engagement:
- Completion of the graphic design and finalization of the layout work for the printed and digital version of the MPI report. Also produce and design 10 social media cards highlighting key data from the MPI report
Level of completion (percentage):
- Completion of the graphic design and finalization of the layout work for the printed and digital version of the INFF report. Also produce and design 5 social media cards highlighting key data from the INFF report
Level of completion (percentage):
- The consultant will work in close consultation with the UNDP Nigeria Stabilization Fund project team and will report to the UNDP Nigeria Communications Specialist.
- The deliverables submitted are subject to UNDP review and will be accepted after necessary modifications made by the consultant, for final approval.
- Payments will be by assignment and will be issued upon successful completion of the service.
- Upon successful completion of the assignment, contractors are required to submit all requested output files, as well as all source files (eg packaged InDesign files) to UNDP for archival purposes.
One year term with initial 30 day commitment as below:
- Article: Professional (at home)
- Duration: One year of fees
- Number of days: 30 days
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Quickly understands responses to changing customer needs.
Qualifications and experience
The professional experts to be considered should have the following qualifications:
Functional Competencies and Assessment Criteria:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Multimedia, Communications, Visual Arts or other related field;
- Minimum of 7 years of graphic design experience on corporate designs and long reports (minimum 30 pages);
- Solid theoretical and practical experience in graphic design, including the use of design software such as Adobe Creative Suite – Adobe InDesign, or any other industry standard graphic design program
- Show a clear and mature design style, compelling visualization, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of a UN agency.
- A background and portfolio that demonstrates strong graphic design skills of a wide range of publication formats, including print, digital/online, and color management;
- Design professionals who are active, understanding and willing to work under pressure and high demand;
- The contractor must have experience in designing multilingual versions, mainly in English and Arabic;
- The contractor must have experience in print and publishing management systems
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Education diplomas (20 points)
- Professional qualifications and certifications (30 points)
- Experience in implementing a similar mission in the past (50 points)
Consultant Selection Criteria
- The offer will be evaluated using the best value for money approach (combined scoring method).
- The technical proposal will be evaluated at 70%. Whereas the proposed budget will be evaluated at 30% based on the sufficiency to apply the data collection techniques and to obtain reliable data for the evaluation within the indicated timeframe. Below is the breakdown of the technical proposal out of 100% which will be increased to 70%:
- National Consultant (Associate) Technical Evaluation Criteria: (Weighting; 100% and maximum point; 100)
The consultant will be remunerated based on the prescribed rates, upon delivery and approval of deliverables for the initial engagement. Approval of Final Services shall be processed in accordance with the Institutional Arrangement as described and obtained by the persons identified in the Institutional Arrangements.
Click here to apply