Job: National Consultant – Health Systems Strengthening / Malaria Specialist (Regional STTA) at Malaria Consortium
Calendar of activities: February – March 2022
Total number of technical support days: 12 technical support days
- We need qualified staff with expertise in malaria programming who will facilitate a landscape and context analysis of the malaria control situation in Borno, Lagos and the FCT.
- The landscape and context analysis will involve collaboration with key stakeholders at national (NMEP, FMOH -Child Health Dept) and sub-national (Borno, Lagos and FCT) levels, in particular SMOH, SPHCBs, SMEPs , LGAs and MFPs, including service providers.
Key areas of analyzes will include:
- Community accountability structures
- Fight against malaria and analysis of the health situation of children
- Institutional capacity assessment of SMEPs and LGAs
- Landscaping of partners and private sector actors
- Assessment of health systems (especially PSM and HMIS relevant to malaria programming) in the public and private sectors.
The objectives of the analysis are:
- Assess the state’s community-level structure for malaria accountability and expanding access to quality services
- Describe the current malaria situation and program implementation status in the states (malaria epidemiology, intervention coverage, barriers and facilitators to intervention coverage, and treatment-seeking behavior).
- Conduct a rapid assessment of the capacity of key government and LGA (Programme Managers) staff to effectively plan and implement malaria control activities and select health facility workers on take integrated management of fever cases.
- Conduct a landscape analysis of partners and private sector organizations working on malaria in the state.
- Assess key components of health systems, in particular procurement supply chain management and health management information systems relevant to malaria programming in the public and private sectors.
Specific Tasks / Deliverables
- Draft Protocol and Tool for Landscape and Context Analysis
- Organize meetings and interviews with stakeholders
- Perform desk reviews – review of published and unpublished literature, review of reports, policies, plans, etc.
- Mapping of stakeholders and potential malaria partners in the states
- Conduct fieldwork – including interviews with key informants and interviews with health workers
- Map commodity supply and distribution channels and document gaps
- Perform SWOT analysis of LMIS and HMIS
- Assess the institutional capacity of SMEPs/LGAs
- Synthesize findings from the literature review and empirical data collection
- Write a report.
Qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent experience in healthcare management or public/global health or related research discipline.
- At least 15 years of post-qualification experience
- Experience in evaluating health systems and/or maternal and child health programs
- Very strong experience in supply chain and logistics, as well as in field management and coordination
- Experience in assessing supply chain management systems
- Strong knowledge of WHO good storage and distribution practices
- Knowledge of malaria commodity procurement and supply chain management in Nigeria as well as vaccine cold chain system
- Familiarity with Commodity Logistics Management Information System in Nigeria
- Experience working closely with senior officials
- Experience in qualitative study design, data collection methods and data analysis using relevant data analysis software like AtlasTi, Nvivo, etc.
- Experience in assessing community structures and systems
- Experience working closely with senior officials.
Click here to apply