Job: Senior Software Engineer – Consultant at eHealth Systems Africa
Division: WASH Clinics
Reports to: Senior Manager, Clinical and Laboratory Informatics
Summary of work
- The Senior Software Engineer should have in-depth knowledge of mobile application development using languages such as Java, Kotlin, and Flutter.
- In this role, through architecture and hands-on programming, you will support EHA Clinics’ technical product roadmap and work with the development team to design and integrate advanced features into the products and ensure that are robust and reliable in 24/7 operations. .
- Working closely with the Product Owner, the Software Engineer will oversee the development of the SMART application. SMART is a mobile EMR for malaria and sickle cell diagnosis, built using Java/Kotlin and powered by an Odoo backend.
- However, the engineer may also be assigned to other projects with other teams in the IT unit.
- We use a range of technologies and languages which include; Java, Kotlin, flutter/dart, Firebase, Git, continuous integration tools, Postgres, etc.
- Although we do not expect the engineer to have enough experience using this wide range of technologies, we do expect someone with an appetite to learn and grasp new technologies as required by the project. .
The requirements listed below are the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform this job successfully:
- Good knowledge of technology in several areas, with expert level knowledge of Android application development using Java and/or Kotlin
- At least 5 years of experience building mobile apps
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases and NoSQL databases – design development, optimization and performance tuning
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms and software design
- Rigor in high code quality, unit testing, automated testing, and other engineering best practices
- Good understanding of what is needed to get things done collaboratively
- Detail-oriented, not only concerned with writing code that works, but also with performance, scalability, security, and optimization
- Ability to see the big picture and small details, and make design and architectural decisions
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, a person must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. Other missions may be assigned.
- Guide problem solving and architectural decisions within the team and across the business.
- Mentor junior developers, analyze and review codebase to ensure security and scalability.
- Understand business processes (EMR, inventory, accounting, etc.) and design systems that adequately meet business needs.
- Develop and optimize services with profiling, debugging, data structure and algorithms.
- Design, architecture and refactoring software for a wide range of services.
- Define, capture, and use real-time event data to create metrics and dashboards that support data-driven development
- Collaborate with DevOps, QA engineers and other developers to advance how we build, test and deploy our services
- Stay up to date with the latest technologies and best practices, inspiring your colleagues with examples and concepts
- Work closely with business stakeholders to define standard operating procedure best practices for all functional aspects of the business that are supported by Odoo ERP
- Responsible for requirements gathering and scope definition with various business stakeholders
- Assist with data integration and mapping. Data must be transferred to and from Odoo to other critical systems
- Determine reporting requirements and implement the appropriate long-term solution to provide these reports
Desirable but not mandatory:
- Good knowledge of application development using a hybrid framework such as flutter/dart
- Understanding of agile methodology
- Experience with the following tools: Git, Jira, Docker, Circleci, Travis, Jenkins, Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, CI/CD, Postgres
- The Senior Software Engineer – Consultant is a full-time position requiring a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- All staff at WASH clinics sometimes have to work beyond the mandatory 8 hour day when the need arises.
A competitive and negotiable salary scale, but based on performance.
Click here to apply