Senior Principal Consultant: Database Administration (Oracle) (KZN) at Datafin Recruitment – KwaZulu-Natal saon_careerjunctionza_state
ENSURE optimal provisioning of ICS services while providing functional and process leadership and expert technical expertise as the next Senior Principal Consultant: Database Administration (Oracle) sought by a dynamic tertiary institution. You will provide essential information regarding your flow of expertise, identify existing and potential system performance issues, and perform the necessary system configuration to optimize system performance. The role will also involve assessing and analyzing future system requirements and forecasting system capacity needs and then recommending solutions that would best meet those needs. The ideal candidate should have a Senior Matric/Grade 12 National Certificate, 3 year ICT related tertiary qualification OR Information Management OR Information Systems qualification at least NQF Level 7 with 8 years experience of Relevant and proven work in systems, servers and application provisioning in a large and complex ICT environment of which 5 years must be in Oracle DBA.
Strategic alignment of technology, installation and customization –
- Analyze ICT strategy, determine system implications and align with future technology direction.
- Ensure the efficiency, robustness, fitness for purpose and integration of system solutions against the institution’s business requirements.
- Propose an action plan, obtain approval and buy-in, design and/or find solutions and facilitate the implementation and monitoring of results.
- Research, design, consult with industry experts and provide industry leadership in the innovative design of cutting-edge technologies, implementing them in a large, heterogeneous ICT environment to a world-class standard.
- Analyze user requirements and participate in capacity forecasting, asset optimization, efficient utilization and definition of technology specifications that underpin the delivery of ICS services.
Maintenance, troubleshooting, optimization and integration of specialized systems –
- Assess the impact of critical system downtime and develop and implement plans to mitigate business impact.
- Proactively ensure that potential system availability issues or performance bottlenecks are identified and corrected before the institution is impacted.
- Take charge of complex issues and ensure that all such issues are resolved quickly.
- Ensure systems and services are running at optimal performance levels.
- Liaise with vendors to ensure maintenance contracts and SLAs are met.
- Make sure systems integrate around a single directory service.
- Installation and configuration of ITS (ERP) applications.
- Installation and configuration of databases (Oracle, MS-SQL, MySQL).
- Installation and configuration of printing systems.
- All installations and configurations will be performed using documented system architectures and conforming to best practices.
- Provide a consolidated systems view to ensure effective management systems.
- Ensure proactive identification of incidents using early warning systems.
- Consult with customer base and expert partners on various aspects of operating systems, application provisioning and system installations.
- Attend meetings to assess user needs and recommend solutions to users.
- Contribute to operational and capital budget requirements of Sections and Divisions.
- Have a good working knowledge of financial protocols.
- Participate in procurement and tendering processes.
- Provide technical consulting services in computer and related matters, for areas such as the purchase and installation of software, and the resolution of any resulting problems.
- Attend and make presentations or exhibits at national conferences or other similar events.
Leadership, Project Management and Research –
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to team members.
- Assume overall responsibility for the Technology component in which you are the main expert.
- Interact with other specialists in different fields to ensure a consistent and holistic approach to complex issues.
- Assist and guide ICS staff and the user community in problem solving techniques.
- Design and deliver in-house training to department staff as required.
- Be able to facilitate effective mentorship training programs for team members and user base.
- Initiate project proposals for approval.
- Provide technical leadership on projects to ensure work packages are delivered on time, within budget and to an acceptable standard of quality. Projects can be complex and have an institution-wide impact.
- Keep abreast of industry developments and trends and provide a business value proposition for technology adoption.
- Matric certificate / 12th grade.
- 3-year ICT related higher degree OR Information Management qualification OR Information Systems at least NQF level 7.
- 8 years of relevant and proven professional experience in the provisioning of systems, servers and applications in a large and complex ICT environment, including 5 years in Oracle DBA.
- Experience working with Integrated Tertiary Software (ITS).
- Relevant industry-recognized professional IT certification (e.g., Oracle Database Administration, Certified Linux Administrator, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).)
Although we would really like to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 working days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. OnlySouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position